Learning Resources for Schools
STEM Resources & Library Visits
Your library is home to an array of educational science, technology, engineering and maths events for kids. With the exception of one or two, these events are free when they take place at your local library. The library team can also visit your school to host the sessions, though a small charge per child applies. This helps us invest in the resources to keep the programs running into the future. Visit us online to find out more and to access our free STEM resources!
Downloadable PDF Guides:
The library has produced a selection of printable PDF guides to help teachers build their own STEM programming. These are designed to make it easier to decide which programs to run and what hardware is required to do so.
For the past five years the library team has visited local schools to host short classes designed to help kids find safe, credible information online and access library resources. These 45 minute sessions are geared towards Grades 3/4/5/6 kids and includes an engaging presentation about library services and online safety, that’s followed by a worksheet that invites students to research within Britannica, then lastly the kids play an educational literacy game.
These sessions are completely free and are available to all schools in the Knox, Maroondah & Yarra Ranges Council areas. Please use the contact form below to express interest in this program and book a time for us to present to your teachers or students. It’s completely free!
Top Resources for Students
Over 30 valuable resources are available to students with their free library card including:
- 50,000+ free ebooks & audiobooks within the Overdrive app
- Hundreds of downloadable magazines with Zinio
- Premium video training courses via Lynda.com
- Credible research tools like Britannica
- Plus many other resources
Students need to be library members in order to access these resources. Anybody over the age of 18 can join online and have their membership card mailed out to them, younger people need to visit a library to get a card or use one of the bulk methods detailed below.
There are now three methods teachers can use to sign up school kids so they can access our free resources:
- Compass: Schools that use the Compass app and whose students have CompassIdentity cards are able to use a fast, automated method. Once activated for your school, when parents next log in to the Compass website they’ll be prompted to enable this feature for their child. Once they have done so the student will be able to use the barcode number on the back of their school ID card, along with their date of birth in DDMMYY format, to access almost all of the library’s resources. Parents must perform this function each year when their children’s school ID cards are updated. The ability to use this feature must be activated by ERL or Compass for your school. Please use the contact form below to make this happen. Helpful resources include:
- A sample of the email that’s sent to students once their parents have activated the service.
- A sample letter that some schools are sending home with instructions for parents.
- A special page detailing the resources available to students via their CompassIdentity cards.
*Please note that this feature is only available to schools located within the Knox, Maroondah and Yarra Ranges Council areas.
- Spreadsheet: Schools that don’t use Compass are welcome to provide an export of their students’ details to the library team digitally. We’ll then upload it directly into our system and produce the associated membership cards.
- Paper Forms: It’s a little more work for schools, but we’re able to create library memberships from paper forms which can be sent home with students to be filled out by parents. They’re available for various ages using the links below. These can be sent digitally to the library or we’ll gladly come pick them up and drop them back off to you.
Contact Form for Schools
Get in touch with the team responsible for your library’s school programs. Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch shortly.